...or the worst best idea. It's really unclear at this point.
I fell in love with these pants from Anthro:
I decided that I would try to make my own version of them. Never mind the fact that I'm a horse-riding girl and my legs are more muscly and less Gazelle-like, I was determined to make them.
I found my pattern, the Collette Clover and my fabric, 12 metres of heavy pink damask found while thrifting for $9.00 (whee!) Oh, and no, my legs aren't that muscular - there will be a whole lot of pink upholstery fabric left over. Enough to upholster the antique chesterfield in the living room or perhaps make a full-skirted 50's party dress, or perhaps both. I could wear it while sitting on the couch and be totally invisible. Girly girl camo if you will. Tempting...
Anyhoo, after 4 muslins (yes 4) I'm close to finished. I know many of you know this but pants are hard! Especially slim fitting cigarette pants. I managed to turn 2 muslins into wearable-ish barn pants and so far the horses seem to approve, although that may be because whenever they see them, I have a bucket of grain in my hands, but at least they weren't all wasted (the muslins, not the horses...) The pants in my (chesterfield's) fashion fabric are now fully lined and sewn together and all that's left to finish are the waistband, zipper and hems. I'll have to do a bit of fiddling with the seam at the hips too. They seem to be a bit baggy, oddly enough, considering the dastardly muslinland I lived in for weeks.
I'm really not sure if these are going to get worn, but I'll see them through to the end and I will definitely write a post showing the finished product. I'm not sure how I managed to completely avoid matching up the pattern but my obsessive sewing side will have to have a glass of wine and chill out because even though I have oodles of this fabric, I really, really don't want to go back to square one with this project.
Here's a close-up of the fabric.
Speaking of wine, I'm really happy to be back in the Land of Blog following a really unfortunate incident involving my new pink Sony laptop and a glass of Pinot Noir. If you follow me on Facebook you'll know the whole sordid story but the short version is that no one would take it apart and fix it. No one. Not even the "Geeks" so I did what any Make Do and Mend girl would do and I took it apart myself, doused it with rubbing alcohol (ironic, considering the fact that wine had done the damage in the first place,) put it back together, turned it on, celebrated for 30 seconds until my keyboard stopped working, took it apart again, ordered a new keyboard, waited, waited, waited, put it back together again and voila! I am now up and running! My laptop was only 3 months old, so needless to say I was really not happy with myself and my clumsy ways. My lesson has been learned and the powers that be have been thanked.
I'll keep you posted on the chesterfield pants. I hope to finish them this week.